Friday, April 19, 2013

Special Request

Tulips, Please!  6 x 6 " oil on gessobord, ©2013, Fay Terry

$100 includes shipping

Every so often, my husband asks me to paint something specific, and this time it is tulips. I have some pink tulips in the kitchen, and some red ones in another room but I thought I would try something  Patti Mollica talked about in the workshop.
When I painted these yellow ones about a month ago, the background was a very bright, beautiful turquoise and the centers of the flowers were dark yellow( but not nearly dark enough). I decided to paint a new version after Patti mentioned that too many bright colors can detract from the main subject.
I also noticed the first painting had areas where more dark was needed.
I grayed down the turquoise mix quite a bit with Quinacridone Magenta and Cad yellow light and white. I also darkened the value inside the flowers and on some of the leaves. What a huge difference it made in keeping the focus on the tulips.

2 comments:

  1. This is so lovely. Interesting to read how you achieved your focus on those lovely yellow tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this Fay. The tulip looking straight at me is saying something to me, but I can't quite catch it. hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...I read each and every one of them!