Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Blue Hydrangeas

Blue Hydrangeas, 6 x 6" oil on panel, © Fay Terry, 2012


There is a good article in the May issue of Southern Living magazine that tells how to change the color of Hydrangea blooms.  I have frequently sprinkled garden sulfur around the base of the plant to make the flowers bluer by causing the soil to be more acidic.  I did not realize that you could also use pelletized lime to make the soil more alkaline and turn the flowers pink.  It takes some time to see results, so it's a good idea to do it now, at the beginning of the blooming period. White Hydrangeas will stay white regardless of the pH of the soil.

I hope you missed me while I was gone for a few days.  I seldom go a day without a daily painting, but sometimes "Nana" wants to be with  her grandchildren.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...I read each and every one of them!