Monday, April 16, 2012

Fruit As Superfood


Fay Terry, YELLOW MANGOES AND FRIENDS, 6 x 6 " oil on gessobord panel ©2012




I am reading  Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest For Bodily Perfection  by A. J. Jacobs and it is a very funny book.  It is filled with information from various experts on exercise, nutrition, germs, and all the health topics our culture is obsessed with. One of the researchers interviewed about what we should eat points out that certain fruits, including those in my painting above, have been classified as Super Foods because of their antioxidants.  He claims that many people are forgetting that apples, oranges, and bananas are also very good for us but they have taken a back seat to certain other fruits that are more highly touted as healthy foods.
I had never seen mangoes like these I found at the market yesterday. The skin is totally yellow and the sticker on each one says "Champagne Mango". I can't wait to see how they taste!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...I read each and every one of them!