Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Long Distance Pears

South Aftican Pears, 6 x 6" oil on archival panel, ©2012, Fay Terry



These are the first fruits that I have seen in one of our local markets that were imported from South Africa.  
When I flew to Johannesburg a few years ago, the flight from Miami was a grueling twenty hours. I know that we get food from all over the world, but still I wondered how good these pears would be after traveling that far.  As beautiful and unblemished as they appeared, the first bite gave me the feeling that this was a pear that had been picked long before it was ripe.  Judging by the somewhat mealy texture but nice flavor, I would guess that they might be better left to be enjoyed closer to where they were grown. Even so, they sure are pretty and fun to paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...I read each and every one of them!