Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Big Peach


The Big Peach
This was my snack this afternoon and I started thinking about the real "big peach".
When we travel to visit my son and his wife in Greenville, we usually head down I-85 from Charlotte, where our other son and his wife live. So we pass through Gaffney fairly often.  The "Peachoid" is a four-story(150 feet) tall water tower in Gaffney, SC that resembles a peach.  It holds one million gallons of water.  The peachoid was built in 1981 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Company of steel and concrete.  An overlay stem and leaf were laid across the structure, an emormous "cleft" was created with steel paneling, and Peter Freudenberg, an artist,  painted the structure to realistically pass for a peach.   

6 x 6 in. oil on gessobord







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...I read each and every one of them!